Same-Sex Marriage and the Immigration Process


Falling in love with someone from another country can present some unique challenges. This is especially true when you are in a same-sex relationship. Helping your loved one immigrate to the United States can be challenging, but there are some simple forms you can fill out to help facilitate the process. Here are two things to keep in mind as you try to help your loved one come into the country legally.

1 November 2016

Trying to "Get Legal" After You Have Already Entered the Country Illegally: Know Your Options


Many illegal immigrants arrive here on boats or planes to visit and then just never return home, or they cross the U.S. borders unseen and live under the radar until they are caught or deported. If you entered the country illegally, you are leading a very scary and rough life, constantly dodging "les federales" or "les policia." If you want to stay in the U.S. permanently, and you are tired of dodging the immigration officers and police, know your options.

17 August 2016

Obtaining An ITIN For A Nonresident Alien Spouse


The income tax filing requirements for immigrants are dependent on individual residency status. The requirements for a permanent resident are different from those for a nonresident alien. To file a joint income tax return, a nonresident alien married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident must have an individual taxpayer identification number. Permanent resident aliens already have a Social Security number. A nonresident alien is an alien whose residency status in the U.

26 December 2015